Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Wednesday: Close your eyes


Lucian Freud. Girl with closed eyes (1986-7)
-Look at me
-'Everybody is looking at you'
-I am closing my eyes
-Look at them-don't close your eyes
-How many times do you close your eyes during a day?
-Why?
- Close your eyes. I want to break the circle
-What can you see?
-Naked..free..afraid
Sight is a geometry- like all other senses.
We look at each other-we make a circle, so hard to break
if only we could break the circle..
'αν αγαπούσαμε θα'σπαζε ο κύκλος
θα κλείναμε τα βλέφαρα για μια στιγμή
αλλά δε μπορούμε να αγαπήσουμε'
'if only we loved, the circle would break
we would close our eyes only for a moment
but we cannot love'
How many times do you close your eyes a day?

3 comments:

margo said...

People will sometimes keep their eyes open for minutes at a time - at other times they will blink repeatedly - with many varioations in between. The question then is, "What is causing them to blink?"
...I believe "filmic" juxtapositions are taking place in the real world not only when we dream but also when we are awake. And, in fact, I would go so far as to say that these juxtapositions are not accidental mental artifacts but part of the method we use to make sense of the world: We must render visual reality discontinuous, otherwise perceived reality would resemble an almost incomprehensible string of letters without word separation or punctuation. When we sit in the dark theater, then we find edited film a (surprisingly) familiar experience. "More like thought than anything else," in Huston's words.
-Walter Murch, from In the Blink of An Eye

maybe it's too technical/mechanical and disrupts the feeling/beauty/totality of your text, but this was what i immediately recalled. sorry. :)

Anonymous said...

"and my love slowly answered I think so.
But
I think I see someone else.
There is a lady, whose name is Afterwards.
She is sitting beside young death, is slender;
likes flowers." Cummings

Andromeda said...

@margo: I have never thought that blinking can signify so much. What is the difference between films and everyday life after all?Surely, we make sense of the world out of juxtapositions..but I do believe that closing our eyes is a rare but accurate way to make sense of the world, or accept that we basically cannot do it. (as for technical/mechanical etc, anything goes in this blog- and for sure, there is no such thing as totality for me..only fragments :)
@..all images/ all sight, all eyes, looking for someone, something like her-not exactly but almost..thank you for adding to what I write, always.