Monday, November 13, 2006

Sounds of the city

At the end of a long 'in-yer-face' weekend, I found myself walking towards one of my favourite places in London, the South Bank. When I walk where I have walked so many times before, in different seasons, daytime or night, alone or with others, I rarely expect a surprise or a revelation. I almost know what kind of sensation I will get when I see the Embankment Bridge and the river..and this element of predictability is perhaps what drove me there at the first place..to feel comforted through habit.
But here is the unexpected..Outside the Royal Festival Hall, a wall full with photographs that you can touch..photographs of people and places in Trading Places.

And sounds emerge from the photographs, they reach my ears, and then get blurred ..how does the city sound like now? I close my eyes, the sounds of the city grow inside me,and then I..

listen with deep emotions
but not with the whining, the pleas of a coward
listen-your final pleasure- to the voices
to the excquisite music of that strange procession

Like the sounds of a city that I've never been to before, like the memory that I can't really recall,like the sensation of a surprise that lingered for a moment in the cold November night.


4 comments:

PH said...

'So how can you tell me you're lonely
Let me take you by the hand
And lead you through the streets of London
I'll show you something that'll make you change your mind...'

Anonymous said...

oh what an image προφίλ...
miss South Bank so much...
believe in the unexpected so much these days...

Anonymous said...

oh what an image προφίλ...
miss South Bank so much...
believe in the unexpected more and more these days...

Andromeda said...

@dr.gonzo: 'In our winter city,
the rain cries little pity,
for one more forgotten hero,
and a world that doesn't care.'
Can I change my mind about that?

@flamingo: Welcome, my friend! Such a great surprise to find your comment!I miss our long walks in the South Bank too, and I miss you.
As for the unexpected..it's always here, as long as we are alive and wander in the world (like drifting planets.)