Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Guinness and I


Back in 2002, having just arrived at the United Kingdom, somewhere near London but not in London, every Thursday we used to go to this pub called The Crown (there is always a pub called a crown, or a red lion or Shakespeare in every little town in the UK). And my friend used to drink Guinness and I kept on interrogating her: ‘how on earth do you like this drink? why?’ No matter what and why, she kept on drinking it and I kept on wondering why.
Some years went by and suddenly last summer, I started drinking Guinness- I remember going to a pub around late May and saying what the hell? I will try its taste-I might be wrong..and so the story goes.. I drank many pints of Guinness in the past year, in good and bad and confusing and lovely and miserable and glorious occasions—it became my most beloved drink, almost like gin n’tonic. not love at first sight but it just grew in me and by now, it’s almost inconceivable for me to go to a pub and not drink Guinness…

Tonight, five years later, I drank two pints of Guinness- one, to bid farewell to this place close in London but not in London that was my home for the last five years. not in the Crown but in a pub nearby which almost felt like the crown.
the second, to celebrate my moving to the land of Guinness in the very near future..this will be the next home. And yes, as Mia Wallace put it in her lovely post in Wildflower Soul for my upcoming moving to Dublin, ‘good things happen to those who wait…’ but finally one day, the long wait is over and one starts drinking Guinness…

DUBLIN HERE I/ WE COME!

2 comments:

margo said...

i told you i had an instinct! congratulations! i am so happy for you and i miss you already my dear! and i am so glad you will on the next island! many kisses!

Andromeda said...

My dear...thank you so much! your positive energy, all of you, helped and paid off finally. next year we will all be partying in Dublin hopefully.
i miss you too-i hope every day that goes by you feel more and more happy and nervous and in love-well, your blog indicates something like that. lots of love dear opucuk ver!