Monday, October 30, 2006

Freudian Slips 1



Here is the running joke of these days:
the other day, talking to my friend I made one of my many Freudian slips, by saying 'homeopathetic drugs'!

But I wonder: what is the difference between homeopathic and homeo-pathetic?
Take for example, cigarettes..are you smoking a lot and sometimes have this terrible feeling that your voice is changing or even that you are about to lose your voice? Well, you can always go on smoking as much or even more, and get used to or get rid of the feeling or sound of your voice-homeopathic or homeopathetic?

Other cases of -pathic versus -pathetic can also be introduced: telepathic or tele-pathetic?
psychopathic or psycho-pathetic? I will expand and elaborate these terms in the future. (any additions to this first list of words is more than welcome.)
This Freudian slip has really broaden my horizons and enriched my vocabulary, but, I wonder: what uncle Zigmund would say about my condition: pathic or pathetic??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

erotopathetic

Mia Wallace said...

Nice one!It is the greek language intervening!! (and as you know λανθάνουσα γλώσσα λέει την αλήθεια!) I totally agree with anonymous, Freud would have said something like 'erotopathetic' (everything for him linked to sex and the erotic)...

Andromeda said...

I can see a clear link between erotopathetic and homeopathic--you know, this old saying that goes 'love can only go away by falling in love again' (ο έρωτας με έρωτα περνάει).
But, beware! If one makes the same mistakes over and over again, then uncle Zigmund would call them erotopathetic and not, erotopathic!