Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Forms Forms Forms

Was it Hamlet that said ‘Words, words, words..’? Or Macbeth? (I am confused even though I am supposed to be almost a doctor in theatre.. ah!) Anyway- this is not the point.. whoever was saying ‘words, words, words’ was right, but these days I keep on sighing, muttering ‘forms, forms, forms’ (that have to be completed with words, words, words)!!!
The story of my life is full with forms- applications for Masters, PhDs, funding etc etc (and I am sure I am a typical example of my generation). But 6 applications for jobs on a week (let alone those I have already done in the past months) is a bit too much. And of course, it is reasonable to say- well, copy and paste the same thing to all required boxes- easy to be said, hard to be done. Because every form has a logic of its own, different boxes for the same thing- first give a number of publications you have in box 6 and in box 11 write the full name, where it was published, even how many pages it was! First write in abbreviated form your titles, then write the dates, courses etc etc and the titles again. (luckily they don’t ask to write first your name and then whether you are the first in the family to have this name or if not, to list all your grandparents who had this name before you!) List your teaching aspirations and then explain how you achieve it and then attach a separate document with your teaching profile. And finally, attach a CV, which supposedly includes all the above unless you have led a double life! Really, these people have nothing better to do with their lives—the question is: do I? (I hope I do!)
PS. Luckily my friends have a great sense of humour and leave me with some great things to keep me company when I get sick of all this form-filling obsession. Thanks to Dr Gonzo and Mia Wallace for giving me The Life of Brian. I have no right to complain, thinking about what poor Brian is going through in this brilliant film—and the ending is wise, to say the least.. let’s sing all together:‘always look at the bright side of life’ (regardless of forms! now let’s get back to business..)

3 comments:

margo said...

tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow
creeps in this petty pace

Anonymous said...

Six in a week?!

I had done 8 on a given Sunday!!
Of course none of them worked :)

The ones that did work where the ones I really put my heart and hopes in and not just words-words-words.

N

Andromeda said...

@margo: tomorrow soon becomes another yesterday..
@N: I cannot compete against your stamina koumpare. No matter how many you do, whatever is meant to happen eventually happens. But I dont think that my heart or hopes can fit in a standard form with boxes that want to make sure that you can fit in a box. But then again, these are the rules of the game and unfortunately we can only play by them.
Miss you a lot-but I hope it wont be long before we see each other again. filakia polla