Friday, December 15, 2006

What keeps me company

Alone..after such long time.
Stuck in front of a computer..working constantly.
Memories of the summer return.
Days without meeting anyone.
Strange, stong feeling.
Silence.
And the sounds of the songs that keep me company.
Like this one:

I lost myself on a cool damp night
I gave myself in that misty light
Was hypnotised by a strange delight
Under a lilac tree
I made wine from the lilac tree
Put my heart in its recipe
It makes me see what I want to see
And be what I want to be
When I think more than I want to think
Do things I never should do
I drink much more that I ought to drink
Because it brings me back you
Lilac wine is sweet and heady,
Like my love
Lilac wine, I feel unsteady,
Like my love
Listen to me, I cannot see clearly
Isnt that she, coming to me
Nearly here
Lilac wine is sweet and heady,
Where's my love?
Lilac wine,
I feel unsteady,
Where's my love?
Listen to me,
why is everything so hazy?
Isn't that she, or am I just going crazy, dear
Lilac wine, I feel unready for my love
Feel unready, for my love.

This is what keeps me company tonight. And the memory of dear friends- like you with whom I first heard this song in a cool, damp night last year and then you got me Jeff Buckley's Grace as a birthday present.
Now that you're so far away and we cannot drink wine together, at least I have the song to keep me company and remind me of you..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Andromeda,

I have been reading on and off. Always wanting to tell you I am out there but never finding the right words.

I scrolled down and smiled at the Joni Mitchell lyrics... Then when I saw Lilac Wine I got a shiver down my spine (even though down under we have 35 degrees Celsius).

And could that picture of the Xmas tree be in that place where we spent so many nights drinking, talking and smoking?

But the past can always extend to the future in our dreams... I see us on your leather sofa and on the floor, lights turned down low, smoke and wine, Carol sings ...

"So far away,
doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore?
It would be so fine to see your face at my door.
And it doesn't help to know
that you're so far away"

N

Andromeda said...

It's funny how we experience the absence of some people. It's like you get flashes in front of your eyes, moments of the past, so far away yet so close.
It's always hard to be the last one to remain in a place full of memories and try to live new moments with new people. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
No, it doesn't help to know that you are so far away and I will not get used to the idea, I think.
Happy New Year to you too and may we meet soon.
PS. This post was dedicated to you after all-that's why you got the shiver down your spine I guess.The music that you left me is very often what keeps me company.:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Andromeda,

I figured as much and you guessed write. The moment of discovering your entry was like discovering a message in a bottle with a message to me! (How often do you find something amongst a billion things which was only meant for you?) The shock was so strong that I contemplated writing a song about it.

It made me also decide to renew your cd collection. This will be new stuff. They will be shared in due course though.

Filakia
N

Anonymous said...

And for all of you Andromeda friends...

Here is the man
(Remember one of the last nights in that hole of a place I rented before I boarded the plane?)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20boHQmccg

How many images can you see in his face?

N