Monday, March 12, 2007

just a perfect day..


Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road
Healthy, free, the world before me.
the long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth, I ask not good-fortune- I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth, I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road

The earth-that is sufficient
I do not want the constellations any nearer;
I know they are very well where they are;
I know they suffice for those who belong to them.
(Still here I carry my old delicious burdens;
I carry them, men and women- I carry them wherever I go;
I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them;
I am filled with them and I will fill them in return.)

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons
It is to grow in the open air, and to eat and sleep with the earth.

Now I re-examine philosophies and religions
They may prove well in the lecture rooms, yet not prove at all under the spacious clouds,
and along the landscape and flowing currents.

W.Whitman’s song of the open road
for the simple happy thought
and the lightness
and the ending that marked a new beginning.
for a moment in London
when people kept staring at me
and I kept staring and smiling at them
and they didn’t know why
but I did- and it was enough…

4 comments:

Mia Wallace said...

Όπως λέει και ο Μπενίνι στο Down by Law by Jarmusch "Ah!I like Walt Whitman! Leaves of GLass!!" (instead of Grass!) ;)

Andromeda said...

Glass-grass-it's all the same when you are happy or drunk.
I dont know the film-should watch it- but you reminded me of Night on Earth now that you said Jarmusch. I should make a post about this (it is about roads after all..)

Mia Wallace said...

Perfect! Yes, I love that film anyway and it says a lot about roads, time and place... :)

Anonymous said...

i think its a great peace of work n that it makes people think about life in a diffrent way...