Sunday, November 08, 2009

soon?

Not only is time relative--temporal terms that we use in everyday language are even more relative. We say 'the other day' and we might mean a week or two months ago; we say 'often' but more often-than-not we mean 'rarely'. 'Last time'..which exactly and according to what, is that time classified as 'last'? And worse than anything else..'soon'. Who decides what 'soon' means?

Going back to good old Saussure and the 'signifier-signified' system of signs that gives my students immense headaches always, the linguistic signs that we use to refer to time are the most arbitrary of all; not only because they don't have any relation to the referent, term that they stand for, but also because the term itself is relative and one could even argue not existing. So arbitrary signs for a construct.

Hence, as a last thought of this week or potentially the first of the new week (depends on how one perceives the start and end of a week), i think that i wish to ban from my everyday language any linguistic reference to time: no 'tomorrow', 'yesterday', 'a couple of days ago', 'soon'. I could potentially keep only the references to hours that clocks count (knowing ofcourse how relative these are as well).But yes, if only I could ban all these empty linguistic temporal signs from my everyday communication--perhaps, I would get alienated from people but at least I would run away from yet another stupid, empty language game.

2 comments:

JessP said...

I really like what you're saying here. When my mom told me as a child that someday I could do something, I would always say, but mom, someday never comes, it's not a day of the week. And more often than not ;) it didn't.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.